Monday, April 2, 2012

Grocery Budgeting

AW! My monthly shopping for April is over. I use to go grocery shopping once a week or once every two week, but this ol' girl started seriously dreading it. Many times I would put it off until we literally had nothing else to eat. I decided to do this once a month shopping before I had our third baby back in December. I am here to tell you, it has changed my life. I have even saved us money since I have been doing it this way. I use to spend about $150 every two weeks and now I'm budgeting $150 a month. Believe me, I can budget more than that a month for groceries, but I'm just trying to budget our money as wisely as I can. I think it's ridiculous that people spend all kinds of money at the grocery store, but really have nothing to show for it. Now my family has two little kids and a baby, so I know as the older my kids get I will have to raise that budget amount, but for now this amount works great for us and I'm Lovin' it.
Here is the rest of my wonderful shopping for today~
This is all the stuff that I bought.  4-pks. hot dogs, fries, 4 cans fruit, bread(includes hotdog and hamb. buns), sloppy joe sauce, frozen broccoli (4 bags), 10lbs. ground turkey, stroganoff (2 boxes), frozen mixed vegetable blend (4 bags), canned mixed vegetables (6 cans), mac n' cheese (6 boxes), box ritz crackers, big tub butter, pasta noodles (2boxes), alfredo and spaghetti sauce, chicken stir-fry, bratwurst (20pk), canned corn, pork n' beans, fish fillets (2boxes), canned carrots, canned peas, taco shells, taco seasoning, sour cream, cereal, oatmeal, lunch meat, salad, snacks (for packed lunches), tomato sauce, rotel tomatoes, refried beans, shredded cheese, chocolate chips (gotta have those. YUM!), popcorn(my kids love that for a snack. I buy the big box at walmart), yogurt(16 individual cups), yogurt sticks (for kids), and of course my baking staples and coffee and creamer.

All of this came to the total of $146 for the month of April. That is $4 under the budget. YAY!!!!! Now mind you, we do get a few wic checks so I don't have to buy milk, eggs, fruit, peanut butter, juice. But I would say if I did have to buy that stuff, I would probably have to add another $60 to my budget. Tomorrow I will be heading to walmart to get our household/cosmetic needs. I budget $50 a month for all of that, so we will see how well I do on that end of my list. I will keep you posted.

Maybe you have some budget experience that you would like to share with us. Leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.

1 comment:

Greg & Stephanie said...

A couple of years ago, I started the once a month shopping thing. I loved it, and seriously want to do it again. It is super challenging as the kids get older, and the boys eat like grown men. I don't have problems fixing enough, but really grasping how much we consume in a month...that is where a detailed plan will have to take over for me.
Way to go...anything that makes mommyhood easier is a welcome blesssing! :-)